Just sipping a glass of vino is fine for any other season, but summertime is here and you want to celebrate with the latest and greatest wine concoctions. Kristina Guerrero met up with wine expert Mark Tarbell and mixologist Brent Karlicek to get three awesome wine recipes that will keep you cool this hot summer.
1. Hibiscus Wine Slushie
Add ice in a mason jar or large glass
Add 3 part Cava sparkling wine
1 parts Watermelon Mint Syrup
Mix Cava and syrup together, then pour into glass, garnish with mint and serve.
2. Watermelon Mint Wine Cooler
• 1 whole small watermelon or a 1/2 large watermelon (approximately 8 cups of fruit, enough to produce 4 cups of strained liquid), with rind removed and cut into chunks
• 1/2 cup mint leaves, stripped of stems
• 4 cups sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid
1. Place the watermelon chunks, including seeds, into a food processor. Using the “pulse” setting, process until juice forms, just a few seconds. The seeds will sink to the bottom.
2. Strain 4 cups of the watermelon juice through 2 layers of dampened cheesecloth into a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam.
3. Remove from the heat.
4. Add the mint leaves. Cover and let steep for 20 minutes.
5. Strain the mixture again into a clean saucepan. Add the sugar and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam.
6. Add the ascorbic acid and stir.
7. Strain the contents yet again into sterilized containers, seal, and label. Watermelon pulp is hard to remove completely, so the extra straining is required for clearer syrup.
3. Rosé Snow Cone
1 cup crushed ice
2 ounces Rosé Wine
1/2 ounce simple syrup (flavored if you choose)
1/2 ounce Cappelletti Aperitivo
1. Add crushed ice to a sno cone cup.
2. Pour rosé over ice until it covers all and collects in the cone.
3. Top with your choice simple syrup and Cappelletti Aperitivo
4. Serve with a straw and a spoon.
WEB BONUS: Rosé Slushie
1 cup crushed ice
3 ounces Rosé Wine
1 ounce hibiscus syrup (or flavor of your choice)
2 fresh mint leaves
1. Add crushed ice, rosé, and syrup to a cocktail shaker.
2. Shake well for at least 15 seconds.
3. Pour into a Collins glass or Pilsner glass.
4. Garnish with mint and ENJOY!
What’s your favorite summer cocktail? Join the conversation on our Facebook page, @TheListShowTV.