If you're mailing holiday cheer to the loved ones on your gift list this year, you're probably planning a trip to the post office. But if you wait too long, your Christmas gift will turn into a New Year's gift. So, whether your packages are ready to go, or you're doing a bit of procrastinating, we're helping you get your presents shipped on time with the shipping deadlines you need to know, to get your gifts where they need to go.
Whether your gifts are ready to go to the post office, or, they have yet to be purchased, FedEx has a shipping plan that will fit your needs, and get your presents to their destination by December 25th:
Regular Shipping Deadlines:
- If you're shipping via FedEx SmartPost, your packages should be given to the post office by December 11th.
- Shipping with FedEx Ground? Get your packages to the post office by December 15th
The Procrastinator's Shipping Deadlines:
- Couldn't make it to the post office till December 18th? Your gift can still get delivered in time for Christmas with FedEx Home Delivery
- If you wait until December 19th to get your gifts in the mail, shipping with FedEx Express Saver will still get your gift delivered in time for Christmas Day
- December 20th is the last day you can ship a present via FedEx 2Day and FedEx 2Day AM
- December 21st is the last day you can ship via FedEx Standard overnight, FedEx Priority Overnight, and FedEx First Overnight
- And if you've got to send something on Christmas Day, you can use FedEx SameDay - just hope that you can find a mailing office that's open.
If you tend to get a little tied up near the end of December, UPS has got you covered, but try not to wait longer than the 18th to ship with them - your package or service might end up taking an extra day:
- December 18th is the last day you can ship UPS 3 Day Select, getting your gifts to your loved one by December 22nd
- December 20th is the last day you can ship via UPS 2nd Day Air, also getting your gift delivered by December 22nd
- December 21st is the last day you can ship your packages for delivery with UPS Next Day Air, and it's also the last day to ship via UPS 2nd Day Air with a Saturday Delivery option - but know that Saturday Delivery isn't available in all zip codes
Perfect for anyone who tends to lose track of the time during December, the US Postal Service has your shipping needs covered the whole week before Christmas:
- December 14th is the last day you can send packages via Retail Ground to get them to Grandma's house by Christmas
- If you're running to the post office on December 19th, you can still get your gifts delivered by Christmas Day if you use their First Class Mail service
- Shipping on December 20th? Ship with Priority Mail to get your package in on time
- If you still have your packages by December 22nd, you can get it in by Christmas by shipping via USPS Priority Mail Express
While Amazon has several expedited shipping options to get your holiday gifts where they need to go, there are some cut-off dates you should know if you want to get your gifts to their destinations by Christmas:
- If you don't have Amazon Prime, December 15th is the cut-off date for ordering items with free shipping, while gifts being ordered with standard shipping should be ordered by December 18th
- If you're grabbing a last minute gift, know that the cut-off date for items ordered with two-day shipping is December 22nd
- And if you're lucky enough to live in a city where Amazon offers one-day shipping, get your order completed by 9:30 am, local time, on December 24th.
WEB BONUS: Shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, or abroad? Or do you want to know when your favorite retailers' shipping deadlines are? Click here to see the full list of 2017 Holiday Deadlines, compiled by ConsumerReports.org.
Are you shipping any gifts this year or do you get to hand them out in person? Join the conversation on our Facebook page, @TheListShowTV.