Instant Pot Recipes: 3 Non-Food Things You Can Make with an Instant PotLifestyle
Just because you bought that Instant Pot in the cookware section doesn’t mean it’s just for making meals. Here’s how it can help you whip up three non-food items you’ll love!
1. Cough Syrup
Let’s start with a soothing, delicious, all-natural cough syrup – which uses ingredients like water, ginger and thyme. The reduction takes about five minutes. Turn the Instant Pot off, then strain the liquid into another bowl. Pour the liquid back into the instant pot. Whisk in cayenne pepper and raw honey. Then pour into a mason jar and store in the fridge.
- 2 cups water
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 1 cup raw honey, preferably local
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Put water, thyme, and chopped ginger into the Instant Pot.
- Press the Sauté button.
- Simmer the herbs in water until reduced by half.
- Allow to cool until the temperature is warm, not hot, steeping the herbs the entire time.
- Discard or compost the thyme and ginger.
- Return the thyme-ginger tea to the Instant Pot.
- Whisk in honey, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper, if using.
- Transfer to an airtight jar or bottle.
- Syrup will keep in a dark cupboard for 1 week. After that, it should be stored in the refrigerator.
- Administer a tablespoon as often as necessary to soothe a sore throat and calm a cough.
2. Hard Lotion Bars
Here’s a recipe for hand lotion bars that uses ingredients such as shea butter and beeswax. Combine everything in the Instant Pot on the “keep warm” setting until everything melts. Whisk in about 20 drops of your favorite essential oil, and transfer to a glass measuring cup, then pour into a forming tray – or an ice cube tray will do. Once cooled, pop the bars out of the tray and they’re ready to use.
- 1 cup cacao butter, grated
- 1 cup beeswax, grated or in pastilles
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil (optional)
- 20 drops of a skin-friendly essential oil
- Begin by grating the cacao butter and beeswax. Grate first, then measure into a 1-cup dry ingredient measuring cup.
- Press the “keep warm” button on the Instant Pot.
- Next, add grated cacao butter, grated beeswax, and olive oil to the Instant Pot.
- In 12 to 13 minutes, it’s all melted!
- Transfer the melted oil/wax mixture to a glass cup with a pouring spout.
- Whisk in Vitamin E oil, if using.
- Then quickly whisk in 20 drops of essential oils, if using.
- Pour into molds or a muffin tin.
- Set aside to harden or place into the fridge to speed up the hardening time.
- Pop out of the molds.
- Finally, wrap in parchment and tie with twine to give as a gift, or store in an airtight container.
Finally – make every day smell like a holiday with potpourri. While making this, hit the sauté button and let the steam carry the aroma throughout the house. You can later remove the ingredients, let them dry out and place them in a bowl.
- Orange peel
- Cinnamon sticks
Fill with water and press the simmer button. Reheat as needed.
Now you’ve got three ways to make your Instant Pot the ultimate multi-tasker!
Special thanks to our friends at Alta Camelback for providing us their stunning location!