By the numbers: Who keeps their New Year's resolutions

By the numbers: Who keeps their New Year's resolutions

We're two days into the new year and at least a few of you are still hanging on to your New Year's resolutions, let's look at them, in depth, by the numbers.

According to research, 45 percent of Americans usually make New Year's resolutions.  Topping the list for 2012 was lose weight, spend less, save more and shape up. The other 55 percent of people apparently don't need a formal resolution to proclaim their goals – which include continue sitting, snacking, on-line shopping, and spectating.   

Only 8 percent of people actually fulfill their resolutions. This means 92 percent of you will be feeling a little less than perfect. But the good news is 46 percent stick to their vows for 6 months and 64 percent last at least one month.

If you’ve one of those people who have already fallen off the New Year’s resolution wagon, you’re not alone.  Approximately 25 percent of people who make New Year’s resolutions break them in less than one week.

Studies show 34 percent of resolutions are money-related, but considering the average household is $54,000 in debt, perhaps that percentage should be a bit higher. In addition, 38 percent of resolutions involve losing weight. This is a good thing considering 69 percent of Americans are overweight.

This is also why most gym memberships are sold in January.  Unfortunately, 60 percent of those memberships go unused. 

What's your 2013 New Year's resolution? Tell us in the comment section below.




Print this article Back to Top


Search Box

Stay Connected