On January 14, these were the stories people were talking about.
1) GOLDEN GLOBAL DOMINATION: “Argo” was the movie that took the Golden Globe in the drama category. Director Ben Affleck, still stinging from his Oscar snub, also walked away with the statue for Best Director.
Hollywood's elite turned out in full force for the 70th annual event Sunday night.
Les Miserable sang its way to the top of the list for Best Comedy or Musical. On the small screen, big time cable channels reigned supreme. Showtime's “Homeland” was the big winner for best TV drama for the second year in a row, and HBO's “Girls” landed the top prize in the comedy category.
2) ROARING BACK: A collective set of cheers were heard around the nation from Robin Roberts fans on Monday morning. The Good Morning America anchor announced she will return to the anchor desk in a few weeks. Roberts has been off the air since the end of August. She is recovering from a bone marrow transplant.
3) BICYCLE SEAT TO THE HOT SEAT: He's been denying doping allegations for more than a decade, but now Lance Armstrong is coming clean. The 7-time Tour de France winner is going head-to-head with Oprah in a 90-minute “no holds barred” interview. Armstrong also reportedly apologized to his Livestrong staff before heading in to face the music.
Before the interview Armstrong texted the Associated Press. His text read: “I told her to go wherever she wants and I'll answer the questions directly, honestly and candidly. That's all I can say.”
The interview will air Thursday on the Oprah Winfrey network.
4) PUMPING YOU UP: After three months of falling prices, gas went up $0.06 a gallon in the last few weeks. From October through late December, a gallon of regular fell $0.58. The current average is now $3.32, which is still $0.03 lower than last January.
5) SNOW-MAS: Seattle was the site of a Saturday night snowball fight so big it landed in the Guinness Book of World Records. Organizers trucked in 162,000 pounds of snow from the mountains to provide ammo to the almost 6,000 winter warriors.